Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Pitiful Pearl...



That's what my mother used to call me. And it suited me! I was determined to see the down side of every situation, to hide in shame when I did something embarrassing, to suffer when rejected.

And how many times will a writer be rejected before getting published?!?!?

Please don't answer that. My heart can't take it! But you see my point. I deleted a few posts below where I was either being Mopey Minnie or Pitiful Pearl. And now, I want to get down to it, write the right stories, send them to the right people, and if they're the stuff that dreams are made of, I'll get there.

I've been working on an article on John Quincy Adams this week. And now, it seems the Adams family is everywhere I look. (Ha! I saw you snap your fingers twice!) Our homeschool group had an essay on John Adams. John Adams will be the focus of an upcoming issue of Cobblestone Magazine (now don't you go and sub to them! It's my turn! My destiny, even!) I'm learning so much about this great man of dignity and courage that I'm really stoked about the possibility of getting this article published somewhere.

I think that's key to getting published, too. Being stoked about the subject you're writing about. How exciting would the article be if I didn't particularly find the subject interesting? And how much care would I take in writing it? Anything for money, right? Well, sadly, this biz generally doesn't pay big bucks. You'd better not be in it for the money, folks!

So I start my day with joyful anticipation... And a blank page before me -- the new leaf I've just turned over!

Yours -- when all you see is empty white space and when your page is filled with ink,

Megan Elizabeth

6 comments:

Write2ignite said...

This was a very uplifting and inspirational post, my friend. Thanks for the boost! :)

Jean said...

How positively positive you sound, Megan. I'm looking forward to seeing "John" in print, too.

See you next week,

Jean
http://www.jeanmatthewhallwords.blogspot.com

Tee Brown said...

I'm trying to get stoked about my WIP! What happens when you lose your stokiness? Perhaps I should move on to something else, but I'm committed to trying to make this work. Pearl, what should I do?

The Winding Ascent said...

Starbucks, sister! And a laptop. And a warm fire with lots of logs... That's stokiness, my friend!!

A log cabin in the snow-covered mountains would be nice, too.

: )

Niki Schoenfeldt said...

Hey you,

Your title hooked me. That's a saying my mom used often too. Your post reminds me of a time where I too swore I'd never let anyone read my writing again. My first major submission was to Reader's Digest sometime about 1987. I had no idea what I was doing, but subbed to them anyway. Of course, I got a big fat rejection and swore off writing fiction again. It wasn't until I moved to the Charlotte area when my Mom and my Hubby talked me into writing again and had me take the ICL test. So, because of my first rejection, I stopped writing for almost 10 years. Who did I punnish? Only myself. I will never make that mistake again. For now, I can wallpaper my office and then some with my rejection slips, but I refuse to lose. Right there with you sista!

Niki

The Winding Ascent said...

But Niki, you're published! That's the thing that I have to remember -- if you keep writing UNTIL you are published, who cares how many rejections came first? But if you stop, all you have are rejections.

I know some people who think they can write but they really do need an ICL course or something before they continue submitting. I know a few tone deaf people who think they can sing, too. But then there are gifted writers who just haven't found their niche yet. Their work will get there one day!