Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Overwhelmed, Overworked, and Underpaid... (with big dividends)

Getting two girls into college at the same time is a strange and surreal thing. Doing it while seeking freelance writing gigs, gainful employment, finishing up a home remodel and preparing to sell a house, and homeschooling two boys is quite a daunting task. I am completely overwhelmed!

Hannah wants to go to Boston Conservatory and study to become an opera singer. A noble and exciting launch into the world of the arts. But this requires an audition cd complete with accompaniment. We found an accompanist who will make a cassette tape for us, but in this day and age it seems inappropriate to sing along with a cassette. We're looking for someone who can play the pieces onto tracks on garage band (I love my Mac!) and then Hannah can lay the vocal tracks on after that. But who can do this for us?

Meanwhile, our Hilary is pursuing acting. She has the highest IQ of any of our children and frankly it's undoubtedly higher than either mine or my husband's, but she wants to act. Ouch. So she has to audition, too. We can't just fill out applications and send them off on a wing and a prayer. Oh no! It can't be that easy!

Okay, I'm mouthing off about all this, but the truth is I'm as pleased as can be that we've homeschooled four children and made it through the entire way with two of them. That Hilary's SAT score is going to be through the roof is very gratifying. That Hannah has taken at least a full year of college already and possibly two is equally gratifying. And the time and effort it's taking to get them into college is more than worth it. I love these crazy kids!

Now I must run -- time to take three of them to fencing so they can defend their honor if anyone ever challenges them to a duel. And who knows? Maybe the boys can get fencing scholarships when they go off to college?

Yours -- when I'm so busy I don't have time to write a word and when all I do is sit and surf mindlessly,

Megan Elizabeth

3 comments:

Write2ignite said...

My sister accompanied me while I was in college for a bit and all the way through high school. She has a Master's Degree in music performance (percussion)and teaches piano lessons. I don't know how much she charges for something like that or if she'd be able to do it. But if you like her info, let me know. :)

Jean said...

HI,

Have you tried contacting the Charlotte Symphony or UNCC or Wingate U?

Merry Christmas, Megan.

Jean
http://www.jeanmatthewhallwords.blogspot.com

The Winding Ascent said...

The problem is that we need our computer and garage band application AND a piano (which we don't have). So I have to drag the computer to whoever it is and set up there at their house, I guess. We have till Dec. 15th.