Saturday, January 26, 2008

What a difficult week...


My mother had 80% of her stomach removed yesterday. I was disappointed that they weren't able to leave more, but my brother told me they had feared she would have no stomach at all and that her prognosis was very grim. It is looking like somehow the cancer was still localized and not metastacized as is the case with 80% of all stomach cancer victims -- because there are usually no symptoms until it's too late. Mom had no symptoms either, but a regular checkup revealed microscopic amounts of blood in her stool (sorry to be so graphic, but I have to pour my soul out somewhere!) When she had lung cancer several years ago, the same thing happened. A routine test revealed a large, agressive, fast-growing tumor wrapped around her windpipe. But they caught it in time to crush it with chemo. It seems (knock on wood and say a prayer) that they may have caught the stomach cancer early enough to cure it, too. But we aren't sure yet. There could still be lymph node involvement.

Cancer is ugly and cruel. I wish it didn't exist. But since it does, I am going to pray for a cure to be discovered. Wanna join me? Click comments and write down your prayer to eradicate cancer here on my blog, okay?

Yours -- when all else fails and your back's against the wall,

Megan Elizabeth

1 comment:

Jean said...

Lord Jesus,
Cancer IS a horrible thing. Megan wants a cure. We all want a cure. We want the word to disappear from our dictionaries. And there are a bunch of other words we'd like see vanish away, too.

You are the Great Healer. You are the Miracle Worker. Lord, perform a miracle of grace in Mom's body. Perform a miracle of grace in Megan's heart.

I do pray for researchers to find a cure for cancers. To find a way to ease that segment of suffering on this earth...

Until You return and with a stroke of your hand sweep away all sickness, all pain, all suffering for all eternity.

Amen - "let it be so."

Jean