Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hilary speaks to Barack Obama (No, not THAT Hillary!)

Well, you just never know what each new day will bring, do you?

I picked my daughter up from school, then went to the Community College to pick up my other daughter. There was traffic. Lots of people milling around CPCC, waiting in line near the stadium. Barak Obama was in town.

The girls asked if they could go in and hear him speak, and I thought, "Yeah, why not?" We're conservatives politically and vehemently opposed to offering women the choice to abort their unborn children. We're also environmentalists who support gun control. There really isn't a party that can hold us. However, we have always voted according to conscience and when it comes to supporting life, be it the lives of sea fowl being killed as a result of oil slicks, endangered species struggling to survive in vanishing habitats, or, most importantly, unborn humans whose parents believe they have the right to stop their hearts from beating, their brains from functioning, or as Juno learned, their fingernails from growing, we choose life.

So we're basically Republicans.

But Hilary went to the rally anyway, got up out of her seat, walked over to the microphone, and asked Obama a question. She asked him what he would do to support young women with unplanned pregnancies. She was hoping he might say he'd offer government programs, funding for medical care, adoption assistance, the sort of thing a democratic candidate who believes in large, supportive government might say. Although he shaped his answer to address prevention and education, Hilary was still glad to have the opportunity to talk to him. We live in a country where that's possible. It was safe, free to the public, and as a sixteen-year-old American, she was able to ask these questions of a potential presidential candidate. That's a good thing.

Hilary is not bashful. She next called in to a conservative talk radio show to discuss her experience at the rally. And after the rally, she was interviewed by Fox News.

And where was I all this time? Standing out in the rain. I dropped the girls off, and while I went to park the car, the last person was admitted to the auditorium. So my two teens went in without me. Which I think is even better. What strong young women I have somehow managed to raise!

I only wish I had brought an umbrella...

Yours, amid life's twists and turns, hills and valleys,
(at least with us, it's always interesting!)

Megan Elizabeth

1 comment:

Write2ignite said...

Awww man! I missed that! You've got to call us when these events are unfolding, my friend. I could have turned on the tv and said, "HEY! I KNOW HER MAMA!!" :)

What a really, really eventful day. YOu'll be glad for the "mama" time tomorrow night, won't you?

Hugs,
Donna