Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My son...

Last night, as we were snuggling and talking before bed, my son leaned over and said, "Queen is from England, I think." Lest you assume my son is three years old and has just figured out that the UK still has a queen, let me assure you that is not the case. He's ten. And he's talking about Freddie Mercury and the gang.

Has this boy been googling behind my back?

And if he has, why is he googling my favorite old rock groups? And why is this what he is thinking about at the end of the day? A hero of mine once said a child should have something to love, something to do, and something to think about each day. I know Jesse loves his family. He loves to read, to do science experiments, to cook, to mess around outside making up new games and sports to play with his brother. He loves to play in the woods, to build things. Some of these things branch out into the something to do category. But what about something to think about? 

I can easily sit around sipping tea and discussing world issues with my teenaged daughters for hours on end. But what am I giving my ten-year-old to think about? I don't know what I'm going to change, but I know I must do something to help him so that we don't end up talking about '70s rock groups at night before we go to bed!

Yours -- with snips and snails and puppy dogs' tails,

Megan Elizabeth

1 comment:

Jody said...

I don't think that thinking about 70's rock bands is such a bad thing. But if you want to give him something more meaty, get him the book "Philosophy Rocks." It's a philosophy book for kids. It's very funny and a good conversation starter.